incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject Site Staging Toward AOO 3.4 (was RE: [BUG] AOO cannot be installed)
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 23:15:22 GMT
+1

I am not disagreeing with Drew.  I am agreeing that it is important to shed critical path
wherever possible.

Because there are different contributors involved, the critical path that Drew sees is not
impacted by folks working on getting the site rebranded and managing whatever the recognizable
critical paths are in prepping the site before the 3.4 release.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 14:27
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [BUG] AOO cannot be installed

[ ... ]

The number of people who visit the website right now == small

The number of people who will visit the website when we have a 3.4
release == very large

The number of users who will even notice work-in-progress with the
rebranding before 3.4 releases == a fraction of small

The number of users who will be harmed by work work-in-progress with
the rebranding before 3.4 releases == zero

The effort to enable staging of rebranding so it all shows up on the
website for the first time coordinated with the 3.4 release == more
than zero

The effort to include mention of the rebranding along with other
communications about the 3.4 release when it happens == almost zero

Volunteering to help with rebranding communications when the time
comes and to help with rebranding on the web site now == Rob

Volunteering to set up staging for the rebranding so it can be flipped
on with a switch later == ?

Remember, when we get close to the 3.4 release, we're all going to be
very busy with other things, both anticipated and not anticipated.
The stuff that can be done now should be done now.  You don't want to
end load tasks like this.   What is easy to do, and has practically
the same impact, is to delay blog posts, and other far-reaching
announcements of the rebranding until the 3.4 release comes out.

My $0.02

-Rob

[ ... ]