incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: 18 Jan 2012: SOPA and PIPA Protest Banner
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2012 18:53:28 GMT
Don,

What's your understanding of the connection between open-source encryption algorithms and
SOPA/PIPA?  Where is there more information available?

Are you talking about the encryption methods themselves or the *use* of encryption in support
of piracy.  Those are different.

With regard to encryption software at Apache, there are existing provisions by which encryption
in ASF releases are registered with the US Government.  The methods being provided in open-source
is part of what makes them permissible.

Also, the *current* OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice releases incorporate open-source encryption
methods.  Apache OpenOffice developer snapshots do as well (though there may be some short-term
impact with the removal of dependencies on libraries whose licenses are incompatible with
ALv2).

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Donald Whytock [mailto:dwhytock@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 09:56
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: 18 Jan 2012: SOPA and PIPA Protest Banner

This showed up on Yahoo today...

http://news.yahoo.com/wikipedia-editors-sites-blackout-120914984.html

Apparently some feel that Wikipedia shouldn't take any political
stands at all...that it sets a bad precedent and potentially damages
its reputation.  Me, I think Wikipedia isn't taking a political stand
as much as a personal one, since the legislation affects Wikipedia
directly.  But perceptions are subjective.

I think Apache in general, and perhaps AOO in particular, could also
take a personal stand.  After all, if I'm reading the EFF analysis
correctly, one good open-source encryption implementation could get
Apache shut down.  Weren't y'all discussing encryption standards and
implementations here a few months ago?

Don