incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject RE: Category-B tarballs in SVN (was Re: External libraries)
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2012 20:02:46 GMT

That seems like a silly reason to step down from the PPMC.

Nothing discussed here has involved a vote and it is not an ooo-private discussion.

There is no obligation to vote on any issue and an abstention can be cast with no need for

On a vote carried out on ooo-dev, you can always cast a non-binding vote (or not vote or abstain),
although it would be strange to do it that way.

Since you are not attempting to veto something, the fact that you are a PPMC member is hardly
disruptive to this discussion, which calls attention to edge cases that need to be understood
and resolved for graduation to occur.  It strikes me that you are raising an appropriate concern
that is consistent with the responsibilities of the PPMC.

Without expressing a view on deliberation itself, I want to affirm that avoiding a course
that may be incompatible with graduation and costly to recover from is an appropriate risk-management

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Pedro Giffuni []
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2012 08:32
Subject: Re: Category-B tarballs in SVN (was Re: External libraries)

--- Ven 13/1/12, J├╝rgen Schmidt ha scritto:
[ ... ]

> The whole discussion is not really motivating for project
> members and of course does not really promote the Apache way
> or the ASF in general.

I agree it's not very motivating but in my defense it was
something that had to be discussed sooner better than later.

> So we always have to take Windows into account and on
> Windows you don't have system libraries for this stuff.

We can do packages of this stuff. It will even save time
from building over and over again the same stuff.
> So please come back to reality.
> Juergen
> PS who will go demotivated into the weekend

OK, this is something I really didn't intend. This was
meant to be discussed on a strictly technical level
without demotivating developers or calling "bloody
murder" on the project.

I hereby drop *any* claim that we may not be complying
with any relevant policy. Also to give full assurance
that I will not be problem to the project I will be
stepping down from the PPMC so my vote will not be
binding: I am really only interested in technical
discussions anyway.

View raw message