incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Moving ahead with the AOO logo and rebranding
Date Sun, 08 Jan 2012 20:12:19 GMT
Rob,

Agreed.  Font scaling is an important second-order consideration after we stabilize on the
essential appearance of each major branding element.

I notice this problem seems to apply to some of the smaller versions that Drew and others
have posted, and it will have to be addressed.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]
Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2012 08:22
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Moving ahead with the AOO logo and rebranding

[ ... ]

If we don't need to scale the logo, then that is fine.  But text -- at
least with high quality fonts -- is not scaled proportionately in the
way you would a simple SVG shape.  In order to preserve a pleasing,
balanced appearance at small and large sizes, real fonts do much more
complicated things, e.g. "manual hinting".

If we want to have the optimal appearance, at various scales, then we
may need to take this into account.

[ ... ]