incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: draft - Website migration(+) announcement - draft
Date Sun, 01 Jan 2012 19:30:52 GMT
There are, of course, some cautious folks who still see their incoming mail as
plaintext regardless of how it is sent.  It matters, in that case, that the
plaintext rendering be sufficient for the links to the full, formatted content
to be seen and followed at the option of the recipient.  The plaintext should
also be a reasonable representation.

I think a good compromise would be for the announcement to provide an abstract
in the case when the full text is substantial, with appropriate links.  And in
that case, a plaintext-only form would be ideal, with a link to a web version.
The web version can be internationalized in many ways, including via browser
language detection as well as user selection.

This musing has me think that

 1.There should always be a web-location permalink (whether project blog or
elsewhere)

 2. The announcement list should only carry plaintext messages with suitable
links for archival web location, extended content, other-language versions,
etc.

 - Dennis

PS: One advantage of the always-open-the-plaintext approach is that it is
generally easy to see the full URLs of hyperlinks, not just the linked text,
and be satisfied that there is no phishing/tracking going on.  It is also
possible to archive/reforward plaintext more reliably (and it is amazing to me
how many list-server setups do such a bad job of it after all these years).