incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [RELEASE]: help wanted to define default dictionaries for languages
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2012 01:14:17 GMT
If you look at the localization languages that are on the current list for built-by-AOO packages
as part of a release, that effectively identifies the *minimum* set of languages that writing
tools are required for.

In addition, some of the built packages cover other languages by default simply because it
is common to want to *author* in some other languages even though the UI localization is for
that of the built package.  For example, the English-language

So there is a known set already, at least for an essential minimum.  There are, however, writing
aids for more languages and dialects than there are UI localizations.

Of course, any localized package can have its writing aids augmented beyond any bundled ones
by user download of additional extensions and templates, including the writing aids for other
languages (and localizations too).

 - Dennis

TECHNICAL NOTE: Currently, instead of packaging the relevant .OXT files in the binary and
silently integrating them, the built-in-ones are shipped in a pre-integrated form.  There
is some worthwhile simplification if the copy stored in the install location were kept as
the .OXT with the content cached the same as for an user-installed .OXT.  (The bundled .OXT
could still be locked down the way the pre-integrated form is now.  User-installed .OXT files
are unloaded into a cache without retention of the .OXT in the application.)

This would also improve the clean separation of any non-Apache-licensed material among the
.OXT artifacts.