incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>
Subject Re: Time for the ASF to send an Open Letter?
Date Mon, 19 Dec 2011 19:40:01 GMT

On 19 Dec 2011, at 16:56, J├╝rgen Schmidt wrote:

> On 12/17/11 4:44 PM, Simon Phipps wrote:
>> Surely that's just a matter of fact, though? When AOO makes a new release,
>> it will be a different codebase under a different brand, so on both charts
>> would show as a new block.
>
> why do you think that it is a different code base? It is exactly the code base granted
by Oracle to the ASF. Ok we cleaned up the code base, removed external libs, replace some
and developed some new things. I would say normal work in the broadest sense ... Otherwise
the code base would change for every release and we have blocks for each of them.

The elimination of all non-Apache-licensed code from the former codebase is hardly "normal
work", and the replacement of the functions it performed with other code from other sources
won't be either.

All this pretence that AOO somehow a "business as usual" continuation of the former project
is frankly unhelpful. Just face up to the fact this is a new project in a new venue with new
rules, a new license, a new brand, and strong historic links to the former codebase. As Graham
keeps hinting, treating this as a strength seems to be both the right marketing policy and
a great opportunity to move beyond past hurts.

S.