incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Too many lists
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2011 04:56:01 GMT
Hi,
First, as I've stated below, I quite agree with Ross. Too many lists is not good, it's actually
recipe for loneliness. It works against—very much against—precisely supra projects like
Apache are meant to foster: cross-communication, discovery, serendipity.

Recall: Our policy at OOo was exactly the one that Raphael articulates. Less is better than
more. I used to have to approve every new list proposed, and Stefan and I did this because
we both felt—he more than I, at first, until I realized how right he was—that having fewer
is better than more.

Comments inline…

On 2011-12-14, at 23:33 , Raphael Bircher wrote:

> Am 15.12.11 00:26, schrieb Ross Gardler:
>> I'm really concerned about the tendency of the AOO project to keep
>> proposing and seriously considering new lists (well that is probably
>> over stating it, but I am genuinely concerned).
>>
>> Each time you create a list you separate the community from itself. It
>> should not happen until there is a proven need for it. Splitting the
>> community in this way leads to questions like "which list should this
>> be on" and subsequently "which list should I search to find the answer
>> to this".

snip

> Sure the ASF has a load of experionce an building developer Communities. But I think
the OOo project has much more experience in local community building, Translation and Localization,
and Documentation. Please give us our space we need to grow up here.

Raphael: As I mentioned, in fact, OOo's policy was exactly Apache's. If a new list is really
demanded, and I can think of a couple of instances where it might be, then it ought to be
created. But that comes *after the fact*. We went through this on OOo. The complaint was that
moving archives was a  pain. But one does not have to move archives; and it's much less of
a pain now than it used to be. (OOo and ASF use the same email application, btw.)

I would thus urge that we be as parsimonious as possible, when it comes to lists, and that,
indeed, we do follow OOo's 11 year experience and realize that it's much better to have a
few intense lists with some noise but a lot of great signal than to have many lists with little
noise and even less signal worth the list.

best
Louis