incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Rationalizing two OpenOffice websites
Date Sun, 11 Dec 2011 18:22:51 GMT

On Dec 11, 2011, at 10:07 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 1:06 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

the live instance. And actually I can't see the previous commit by you either (revision 1203948),
so I'm probably looking at the wrong pages or I didn't trigger some update procedure.

at

need to co-ordinate w/Infrastructure. I expected to get to wrapping last week. I plan some
work today. Depending on that someone should co-ordinate the publish step for ooo-site with
Infrastructure.

>>> Depends on when we publish. Here are some of the tasks required before changing
the DNS.

>>> (1) Finish the wrapping. I am adding breadcrumbs, topnav, folder specific topnav
and adjusting the footer as best I can tell from LEGAL-104.

>>> (2) Make sure that Trademarks and Dennis don't have any issues with license notices
and copyright.

>>> (3) Make sure that the subdomain redirections are ready for the migration.
>>>
>>> (4) Make sure that the places where a podling page takes precedence land on a
proper page - contribute / participate changes.

>>> We might debate (4) as a prerequisite, (1), (2) and (3) are definite.
>>>

>> If we took the existing openoffice.org site, as-is, and hosted it on
>> Apache, and did the redirection so it looked like openoffice.org,
>> would there be any problem?  It would reflect the status quo on the
>> legacy site, including possible trademark and other issues.  But it
>> would be no worse.
>>
>> On the other hand, making this go live now allows all of us to start
>> making content changes that are relevant and needed in many areas.
>> You open it up for the other 78 of us to start contributing to the
>> website.
>>
>> So if there is a way we can can the footer cleanup, etc., in-situ,
>> then I'd urge that approach.  Otherwise we're all being held back from
>> making meaningful corrections to the website.
>>

> Or to put it differently, let's not let graduation requirements hold
> us back from going live with the new hosting.

Since you started another thread. Let's discuss this there. Or better wait until tomorrow
and the situation might differ.

Regards,
Dave