incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [WWW] Changeover is Close - Final Tasks!
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2011 20:19:21 GMT

On Dec 22, 2011, at 11:51 AM, Joe Schaefer wrote:

> But we're NOT cutting over "openoffice.org"
> now so I don't see what the hemming and hawing
> is about.  We're doing "www.openoffice.org",
> aren't we?

Dennis missed our discussion of this trick.

If a user goes to http://openoffice.org/ then Kenai very nicely redirects them to http://www.openoffice.org/.

Website migration is decoupled from the following other issues:
- Mailing List cutover. (ooo-site should avoid allowing users to subscribe to the old lists.)
- @openoffice.org forwarder cut-off.
- openoffice.org ids and extensions and templates access.

There are a bunch of servlets around login and project mailing lists. These will break. They
will need to be removed, but I don't think that should stop us from migration.

I do agree that we should make the old legacy visible on the new site. I've asked for someone
to look into /mail_list.html. Links to http://openoffice.org/projects/ and http://openoffice.org/projects/www/lists/.
would be welcome additions. CTR people!

Regards,
Dave

>> ________________________________

each of the OpenOffice.org projects (and NL projects) have:

>> <http://openoffice.org/projects/www/lists>.
>>
>> If you have an OpenOffice.org login, you will see Subscribe and (if already subscribed)
Unsubscribe buttons for each list on that page.  Also, the archives are accessible from those
pages in a browser-friendly form.  This is how one can read the list using a browser and there
is even a way to post to the list via the web interface.

>> While some people aren't aware that there is this one-stop arrangement and use the
e-mail means of controlling their subscription, others rely on this, including TJ for administrative
functions.

>> This aspect of the mailing-list service will go away with the cut-over of the web
site.  There is no reminder or announcement about that.