incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [WWW] migration complete...at least I think so
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2011 04:07:54 GMT

On Dec 1, 2011, at 7:31 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 10:08 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

>>> Wow.  This is so cool.  Thanks.
>>>
>>> What tasks remain before we can go live with this as the new
>>> openoffice.org website?  Is there a list on the wiki someplace?
>>>
>>> In other words, where can people help?
>>
>> On Sunday I plan to adjust the wrapping and build the table of subdomain re-wraps.
>>
>> I'll then negotiate the publish build with Infrastructure. It will hit the website
svn hard.

>> One thing I wanted to do was add a set of navigation buttons to the ooo-site framework.
>>

> Are you talking about the "I want to...." links on the current
> www.openoffice.org homepage? Or a navigator that would be on all
> pages?  Trying to get a uniform nav look and feel will be hard, since
> there are so many links between the various sites, especially between
> the static site and the wiki pages.  Unless we can get the nav uniform
> across that boundary it may be awkward.  But if we can get it uniform
> it would certainly be nice.

 A row of buttons on the right just above the content for the website - for now the same on
all platforms, but ideally special for each N-L

>> I was thinking of something like:
>>
>> - Download
>
> +1
>
>> - Support
>
> +1
>
>> - Bugzilla
>
> This will be meaningless to 99.99% of our users.  But maybe could call
> it "Report a Bug".   Of course, BZ itself is too complicated for most
> users.

- Report Bugs

>> - Wiki
>
> Is wiki really a destination, something that users are looking for?  I
> think of it more like a technology we use for delivering content.  So
> maybe we could highlight a link to a specific wiki area, like "FAQs".
> But I don't know why a user would be searching generically for the
> wiki.

- FAQs

Also -

- Forums

>> - Apache Project.
>> - N-L pop-up
>
> What would we be popping up?

A list of N-Ls - it should be from a file - it can start with ISO codes, but having it in
the language in UTF-8 with the ISO code would be ideal.

> Maybe also "Extensions" and "Templates"

Maybe, but now we might have too many buttons. I think we want no more than seven.

Regards,
Dave