incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Rationalizing two OpenOffice websites
Date Mon, 12 Dec 2011 23:42:03 GMT
Does anyone see any technical blockers to making ooo-site.apache.org into www.openoffice.org?

I think I see daylight to the E&T registration problem - see comments in-line.

On Dec 12, 2011, at 3:09 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 6:59 PM, Joe Schaefer <joe_schaefer@yahoo.com>wrote:
>
>> All set. Just did a full site build and it went thru no trouble.
>>

> YAY! I did see this am that all seemed to be in good order...I'm not sure
> WHAT happened yesterday. Right after I did a commit, I couldn't even get
> this page to load:
>
> https://cms.apache.org/
>
> so I was sure the CMS was having problems.

It was - here is the earlier comment from Joe with my reply:

> I'm happy to hear things are good now, and will hopefully remain so.

The redirect list is now attached to INFRA-3933.

While it would be good to have the headers and footers correct, I didn't get to it yesterday.
The redirection list was the key technical bottleneck.

It is worth repeating the three special redirection cases. Two are desired and one I think
makes sense to me, it probably deserves its own thread.

(1) redirect requests to security.openoffice.org to incubator.apache.org/openoffiorg/security/.

	This means that we intend the setup as expressed on openoffice.org to be replaced.

(2) redirect requests to contributing.openoffice,org to a specific page. This is certainly
the consensus.

(3) redirect requests to qa.openoffice.org/issues/ to issues.apache.org/ooo/. This has been
requested to preserve BZ links.

I see no reason not to proceed with (2) and (3) immediately, and (1) is probably the same.

About E & T user authentication. I doubt that user authentication is to www.openoffice.org,
it is likely to be to openoffice.org or another subdomain. If it is to openoffice.org then
we would leave that IP at Oracle and only change www.openoffice.org plus the 136 subdomains
in the redirect list to point to ooo-site.

Users who do http://openoffice.org are redirected to www.openoffice.org. That action would
continue.

$ curl -v http://openoffice.org/
* About to connect() to openoffice.org port 80 (#0)
*   Trying 192.9.164.104... connected
* Connected to openoffice.org (192.9.164.104) port 80 (#0)
> GET / HTTP/1.1
> Host: openoffice.org
> Accept: */*

< HTTP/1.1 302 Found