incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: A timeline for an Apache OO release
Date Sat, 17 Dec 2011 21:58:30 GMT
On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 4:29 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> I think it is irresponsible to not mitigate risk by having multiple levels of fall-back
in place always.  Not installing a 3.4 atop a 3.3 is one of those safeguards.  It is foolish
not to take that precaution.  It honors users by allowing them to compare based on *their*
use cases and decide when, if ever, to remove a previous version.
>

The user is free to pick another directory at install time, right?  So
they can make the choice that works best for them.

If you want to improve on the install logic that has worked well for
OpenOffice for past releases, then that is wonderful as well.  There
is always room for improvement and patches are welcome.

But my issues was more with your assertion that 3.4 should come with
"a gigantic disclaimer against production use".  I think that is an
irresponsible statement, considering you have not seen or tested a 3.4
candidate release yet.

-Rob



> For me, it is always appropriate to leave a previous .x release of a productivity product
installed.  As a matter of policy, I would never silently uninstall anything.  That is regardless
of the presumed quality of the new release.
>
> My intention is to safeguard the user first, no matter what my level of confidence (or
hubris) might be.  I am not presuming anything about the quality of any non-existent release.
 I am expressing a principle that does not move our risk of error onto the user if at all
possible and practical.
>
>  - Dennis
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]
> Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2011 12:11
> To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
> Subject: Re: A timeline for an Apache OO release
>
> On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>> The releases have to be rebranded anyhow, because they are currently Oracle
>> branded.  I think having it be OpenOffice.org 3.4 and installed over
>> OpenOffice.org 3.3 is a very risky idea.  The quick-release cycle may be great
>> for our teething; users should not have to suffer any of the consequences.
>
>
> [ ... ]
>
> I think it is irresponsible for anyone to make statements about the
> quality or the suitability for production use of a release they have
> not yet seen, not installed, and not tested.  Let's wait to see a
> release candidate before we start issuing speculative predictions that
> have no factual basis.
>
> -Rob
>
> [ ... ]
>

Mime
View raw message