incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Pootle (was Re: About the Former Native Language projects)
Date Mon, 19 Dec 2011 12:38:49 GMT
On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 12:39 AM, Dwayne Bailey <dwayne@translate.org.za> wrote:

> On 2011-12-16 07:07, Dave Fisher wrote:

On the license side, making the translations available under the
Apache 2.0 license will allow both AOO and LO to use the translations.

Would there be any value to sharing the "translation memory" data
independently of the underlying translations?  Would that give any
benefit?

I don't think that we can avoid having a divergence in translation
strings.  New features added to LO will differ from new features added
to AOO.  But the underlying terms we use to describe the UI and the
basic application features will remain the same.  Terms like "pages",
'sections", "sheets" and 'fonts" etc., are not going to change.  So in
that case, would a shared translation memory database help?

Another other approach would be to actually have shared translation
strings, but adopt a naming convention to distinguish LO-specific
strings from AOO-specific strings, such as using the prefix LO_ or
AOO_.   The common strings would remain the same, making it easier for
a new language translation to target both apps at once.

-Rob