incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Announce list is live
Date Wed, 28 Dec 2011 23:55:42 GMT

-

>> > right - which might be the spot where Grahams concerns start to kick
>> > in.. just sayin'.
>> >
>> > I'm not sure from reading his posts if he is actually urging that we not
>> > play this up for the moment, but delay till a release and by then to
>> > have formulated and executed a more extensive re-branding...then again
>> > I'm likely not fully interrupting his thoughts correctly, such is the
>> > norm for written communications.
>> >
>> > So - in my head the answer for the moment is: keep it very simple - a
>> > couple of paragraphs with the explicit aim of getting the reader to come
>> > visit the new site (not so much a full overview of events)
>> > - those interested can find the new communication channels on the new
>> > web pages.
>> >
>> > maybe something a kin to -
>> >  **********
>> >

>> For all but 500 or so of the 84,000 this would be entirely without
>> context.  They would say, "Apache what?  What the heck is a Podling?"
>>
>> Remember, the announce list is not a project community list so much it
>> is an end user list.  So we'll want to have a good model for what they
>> know and what they don't know already.  My guess -- and your guess is
>> as good as mine -- is that they vaguely recalled reading something
>> about LibreOffice, maybe something also about Apache.  Maybe they
>> recently received a note from TOO.  They are soft on the details and a
>> little bit confused.
>>
>> Your draft, on the other hand, would be perfect for sending to
>> ooo-users, and other project lists where the subscribers are already
>> "insiders" of one form or another.
>>
>> Another idea: if you think that know about our users and their
>> perceptions is worth knowing rather than just guessing, we might want
>> to conduct a survey of them, including a link to such a survey in our
>> initial communication.
>
> Sure that is a good idea - how much time, realistically, do you want to
> a lot for putting that survey together - if you had to name someone to
> do it (draft some meaningful questions), right now, can you do that?
>
> Just wondering on that last part - overall yes it is a good time for
> that of course, if it can be done.

I'd back up and ask, what do we want to say in this first note to the
announce list?  What do we want our first impression to be?

A survey could be part of it.  Or not.  But I think it is worth taking
a look at the note we sent out to the project lists a while ago:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Email+Migration+Post

We were able to pack a lot of useful info into that note, including a
link to the blog, the migration status page, instructions for the
mailing lists, etc.  The audience there was project participants from
the legacy project.  With the announcement list the audience is
broader, including predominately users.  But I think we could use a
similar approach:

1) What do we think they need to know?  What information do they lack?
 What misinformation have they heard?

2) What action do we want them to take?

3) What expectations do we want to leave them with?

On the survey idea specifically, that could potentially be an action
we want them to take.   I think it could be designed and reviewed in a
week.  But it is probably not the most important thing to have in this
initial communication.

-Rob