incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Announce list is live
Date Wed, 28 Dec 2011 20:52:13 GMT
On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 3:34 PM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-12-28 at 15:15 -0500, Rob Weir wrote:

>> > And the sky is blue - my suggestion use the website cut over for a
>> > legitimate announce list class event - send to both the new and the old
>> > announce list (assume and ask for it to be moderated onto the old one) -
>> > put a copy to the blog, even if others a planning more extensive blog
>> > posts - an extra simple post won't hurt.
>> >

>> It might make sense to webs site migration, along with all the other
>> migration accomplishments as part of a general engagement with those
>> users.  Here's what we've done, here's what we are doing now, here's
>> what to expect in 2012, here's where to find more info, etc.
>>
>> Remember, aside from a few hundred people (a relatively small number)
>> most of the 84,000 subscribers to the announce list will be hearing
>> about AOO for the first time.   The initial note will be our
>> re-introduction.
>
> right - which might be the spot where Grahams concerns start to kick
> in.. just sayin'.
>
> I'm not sure from reading his posts if he is actually urging that we not
> play this up for the moment, but delay till a release and by then to
> have formulated and executed a more extensive re-branding...then again
> I'm likely not fully interrupting his thoughts correctly, such is the
> norm for written communications.
>
> So - in my head the answer for the moment is: keep it very simple - a
> couple of paragraphs with the explicit aim of getting the reader to come
> visit the new site (not so much a full overview of events)
> - those interested can find the new communication channels on the new
> web pages.
>
> maybe something a kin to -
>  **********

For all but 500 or so of the 84,000 this would be entirely without
context.  They would say, "Apache what?  What the heck is a Podling?"

Remember, the announce list is not a project community list so much it
is an end user list.  So we'll want to have a good model for what they
know and what they don't know already.  My guess -- and your guess is
as good as mine -- is that they vaguely recalled reading something
about LibreOffice, maybe something also about Apache.  Maybe they
recently received a note from TOO.  They are soft on the details and a
little bit confused.

Your draft, on the other hand, would be perfect for sending to
ooo-users, and other project lists where the subscribers are already
"insiders" of one form or another.

Another idea: if you think that know about our users and their
perceptions is worth knowing rather than just guessing, we might want
to conduct a survey of them, including a link to such a survey in our
initial communication.

-Rob