incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Rationalizing two OpenOffice websites
Date Sun, 11 Dec 2011 18:07:44 GMT
On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 1:06 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

live instance. And actually I can't see the previous commit by you either (revision 1203948),
so I'm probably looking at the wrong pages or I didn't trigger some update procedure.

at

to co-ordinate w/Infrastructure. I expected to get to wrapping last week. I plan some work
today. Depending on that someone should co-ordinate the publish step for ooo-site with Infrastructure.

>>> So publishing then moves it from staging to ooo-site.apache.org.    At
>>> the same time can we direct www.openoffice.org there?  Or is other
>>> work needed before we take that step?
>>
>> Depends on when we publish. Here are some of the tasks required before changing the
DNS.

>> (1) Finish the wrapping. I am adding breadcrumbs, topnav, folder specific topnav
and adjusting the footer as best I can tell from LEGAL-104.

>> (2) Make sure that Trademarks and Dennis don't have any issues with license notices
and copyright.

>> (3) Make sure that the subdomain redirections are ready for the migration.
>>
>> (4) Make sure that the places where a podling page takes precedence land on a proper
page - contribute / participate changes.

>> We might debate (4) as a prerequisite, (1), (2) and (3) are definite.
>>

> If we took the existing openoffice.org site, as-is, and hosted it on
> Apache, and did the redirection so it looked like openoffice.org,
> would there be any problem?  It would reflect the status quo on the
> legacy site, including possible trademark and other issues.  But it
> would be no worse.
>
> On the other hand, making this go live now allows all of us to start
> making content changes that are relevant and needed in many areas.
> You open it up for the other 78 of us to start contributing to the
> website.
>
> So if there is a way we can can the footer cleanup, etc., in-situ,
> then I'd urge that approach.  Otherwise we're all being held back from
> making meaningful corrections to the website.

Or to put it differently, let's not let graduation requirements hold
us back from going live with the new hosting.