incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What do we want to do with spam on lists?
Date Mon, 19 Dec 2011 21:46:43 GMT
On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Paul <paul.m.nz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 3:31 AM, Andrew Pitonyak <andrew@pitonyak.org>wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 21:28:04 -0800, "Dennis E. Hamilton"
>> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>> > I took care of it as soon as I saw it (after being away all day and
>> > returning about an hour ago).  The user is unsubscribed.
>>
>> Excellent. This is a thankless job!
>>

> Personally I'm a fan of warning first. Misguided / novice (to email lists,
> etc...) people are everywhere as well as those that are unfortunate.

That's why I thought I'd ask.  The typical spammer is not a list
subscriber.  When a list subscriber posts spam, especially a
subscriber that has participated in discussions before, it can be a
sign of several things:

1) Novice with bad judgment

2) Machine infected with a virus or other malware that is sending out
spam to everything in their address book

3) A spam bot on some other machine that is sending spam spoofing their address

-Rob