incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: old colored vs new monochrome icons
Date Sat, 17 Dec 2011 02:08:55 GMT
On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 7:41 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> I have no objection to the coloring of the icons.
>
> I object to the use of an "ODF" tag on them with no indication that these are
> for implementation-specific file associations.  I also failed to include the
> illustrative image from my last note.  I will correct that.

I don't how familiar you are with how Windows handles file
associations and icons, but there is not direct connection between the
application and the icon.  So no icons are *necessarily*
implementation-specific.  But it does require extra coordination among
multiple implementations if they are to use the same icons.

In particular, the file extensions is associated with a ID in the
registry for the file type.  There is then a separate registry for
mapping the file type to the default icon.  And then there are one or
more application registry keys that associate actions ("verbs") with
an application.

That is what allows you to have multiple handles for "open with..." in
Windows.  It also allows a different applications  to each handle
different verbs, such as one handling print, another view and another
edit.  Of course, only one application can be the default handler for
when you double click on the icon.

So if each application installs its own icons, then of course icons
will be application-specific.  Needs no ghost from the grave to tell
us that.  But we could just as well have multiple apps use the same
icons for the same file types.

-Rob