incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Product name on the new website
Date Thu, 29 Dec 2011 13:03:55 GMT
On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 5:33 AM, Andrea Pescetti
<pescetti@openoffice.org> wrote:
> First of all, thanks to everybody involved in the website migration, it was
> a huge task and the vast majority of pages seems to have been migrated just
> fine.
>
> What should we use as a product name on http://www.openoffice.org/it/ and
> related pages?
>
> Shall we just keep the "OpenOffice.org" name (without Apache) until there is
> some public beta of an Apache-branded product? Shall we change the name to
> "Apache OpenOffice"? I would avoid to replace all occurrences with the
> cumbersome "Apache OpenOffice[.org] (incubating)" except for a few of them.

According to the "Incubator Branding Guide" [1] we must use the full
name "upon the first reference in a document".

So I think it would be fine to call it "Apache OpenOffice (incubating)
once on each page.  And then you can use the short form "OpenOffice"
in the other parts of the page.

I think we want to avoid using "OpenOffice.org" except when we are
specifically referring to historical information, e.g., referring to
prior legacy releases or the history of the project.

[1]: http://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html