incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [code] usage of Berkeley DB
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2011 18:01:37 GMT
On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Herbert Duerr <hdu_ooo@alice.de> wrote:
>> In module desktop it is used for the management of installed extensions.
>> For each installed extension a key-value-pair is stored in a Berkeley DB
>> file. There are created certain Berkeley DB files in an installation for
>> various purposes. The intrinsic data type of the 'key' and the 'value'
>> is <string>.
>>
>> Thus, it looks like that we only have one 'real' dependence on Berkeley
>> DB - the management of extensions.
>

> Using a database system to manage a handful of extensions sounds like "using
> a sledge-hammer to crack a nut" and a rather tiny nut at that.
>
> I'm looking into replacing it with something much simpler.

How about a file called extensions.properties or extensions.ini or
something like that.  If these are really just string name/value
pairs, and we're dealing with, say, 1000 or fewer of them, then a
linear search of then should be fine.

Also, do we know, are these UTF-8 strings, UTF-16, or just ASCII?

-Rob