incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Rationalizing two OpenOffice websites
Date Sun, 11 Dec 2011 20:05:43 GMT
On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 2:47 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Dec 11, 2011, at 11:30 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

the new site :).

doesn't show up on the live instance. And actually I can't see the previous commit by you
either (revision 1203948), so I'm probably looking at the wrong pages or I didn't trigger
some update procedure.

to appear in

su Apache OpenOffice) at

to be huge and we need to co-ordinate w/Infrastructure. I expected to get to wrapping last
week. I plan some work today. Depending on that someone should co-ordinate the publish step
for ooo-site with Infrastructure.

   At
 Or is other

folder specific topnav and adjusting the footer as best I can tell from LEGAL-104.

with license notices and copyright.

precedence land on a proper page - contribute / participate changes.

wait until tomorrow and the situation might differ.

>>> That is a matter of opinion. Several people have made commits to ooo-site. http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/website-local.html
>>>

>> No one is looking to edit ooo-site purely for the sake of editing.
>> They want to have it published where users will actually see it.
>> Right now, if someone wants to edit the non-wiki portions of
>> openoffice.org then they are bottlenecked.  Going live with your (and
>> Kay's) great ooo-site work will eliminate that bottleneck.
>
> It a false bottleneck. Users will see changes, just not immediately. That could be an
advantage. It allows CTR before users see it.

If "eventually" means we wait a month, then that is false CTR.

I'm looking for enabling effective collaboration.  There is ton's of
stuff one the website that is wrong now and has been wrong for nearly
6 months.  But we have no effective way of updating it.

> Just this morning I suggested to Graham Lauder that the why.openoffice.org page needs
work. Why wait?

Again, the ability to edit absent the ability to publish, is not going
to encourage effective collaboration.

Let's get to "release early and often" on the website.  Waiting months
for the ability to publish is not healthy for the community.

So what is the least that is required technically to make this live?
We can deal with your and Dennis's 6 month long debate about terms of
use later.

> Can we please pause this discussion so I actually feel like doing with OOo today?
>
> BTW - Note that the extensions and templates are a problem with migrating the domain.
This needs to be understood.