incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: About the Former Native Language projects
Date Sun, 11 Dec 2011 00:13:47 GMT
On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 7:11 PM, Ross Gardler
<rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
> On 11 December 2011 00:02, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Louis R Suárez-Potts <louis@apache.org> wrote:

>>> Now to the present issue. I've written that I would rather focus here, in Apache
land, on coding. But that only opens the door, as it were, to establishing the very successful
Native Language modules either in another wing of Apache (??) or outside the Apache frame
but corresponding to it, so that QA, a key element of the NL projects, for instance, could
be tied in. Licenses, etc., would have to be harmonised. And I'd also suggest using a simpler
work medium, such as wikis.

>>> I think some of this is already going on but it is not clear to me *what* is
going on or where. I'm not alone. I have received several pings on this very question, and
I'd like to move on it.

>> I can see several models that could work:
>
> All good options...
>
>> You hint at another option.  I'm not sure it would work, but let's
>> list it for sake of argument:
>>
>> 4. NL projects are individually proposed as their own podlings.  Their
>> charter would be for them to produce localizations of AOO.  But they
>> would be autonomous PMC's within Apache, with their own website,
>> mailing lists, etc.
>
> Why do you feel this would this not work?

You have many Gaelic or Vietnamese-speaking mentors?