incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Off topic
Date Sun, 18 Dec 2011 15:42:59 GMT
On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 10:23 AM, Ian Lynch <ianrlynch@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18 December 2011 14:57, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 9:26 AM, Graham Lauder <g.a.lauder@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > On Friday 16 Dec 2011 12:03:53 Rob Weir wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>> In other words you think my views are heretical.
>

> No, they are a political perspective dressed up as if rational.

It looks like you are trying to dismiss my points without rebutting a
single point of my argument.

> Of course, that doesn't mean that individual engineers failed
>> personally, or that there were no good efforts.  Far from it.  You
>> should never take such things personally.
>>

> Most of the community are not engineers.

True.  But engineers are essential contributors to the project.  There
are other essential contributors roles as well.  Remove any one of
them and the project fails.

> I think acknowledging the above is key to community building,

No one denies this.  But will you acknowledge that a complex system
can fail as a whole by the failure of even a single component?

One can die of a heart attack but still be healthy in other areas.  It
is not all or nothing.  Organ donor programs are based on this
principle.

> The key to community building is to generate community spirit and a feeling
> of belonging.

This is one key, yes.  But a eulogy for someone that had a "great
spirit" is still a eulogy.

> especially in persuading LibreOffice volunteers that their ultimate
>> goals are also fulfilled at Apache, and that Apache has far greater
>> means, and proven ability, to prevent control from a single
>> corporation than TDF does.
>>

> Brute common sense from an individual perspective rarely realises its goal
> and often has the opposite effect from that intended.
> --

I think we need to be honest about what worked well and what didn't,
in order to avoid the mistakes of the past, but also to build on past
successes.  Community spirit based on mass reality distortion fields
helps no one, since it prevents us from seeing things as they are.

-Rob