incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Aoo logo draft
Date Sat, 03 Dec 2011 13:58:54 GMT
On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 8:21 PM, Graham Lauder <yorick_@openoffice.org> wrote:
> On Friday 02 Dec 2011 21:31:45 drew wrote:
>> Howdy Eric,
>>
>> On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 08:52 +0100, eric b wrote:
>> > Apologies, I forgot :
>> >
>> > Thank you very much for your proposal
>>
>> <snip>
>> Your welcome and thanks also.
>>
>> > Instead of changing everything, I'd suggest to define a complete
>> > graphic chart ? I mean new colors, new applications logos, and so
>> > on : invite Designers, and people who have ideas to participate.
>>
>> hmm, my take on the conversation was that there was a user for a graphic
>> specific to the project and not necessarily to the product, so that is
>> what was in my head when prompted.
>>
>> So with specifics to the graphic I whipped up, one thing I'm not
>> satisfied with is the color change to the text 'Open' I'll work on that
>> later today.
>>
>> In general, I believe you are absolutely correct this project would
>> benefit from some 'real' designer(s) getting involved. (maybe this will
>> help spur some one..)
>>
>> For specific elements of the application changing, including the logo
>> used there, this proposal does not mean I think they should be changed,
>> at least not at the moment - that level of change would, IMO, best be
>> held off on till some of the above human resources speak up.
>>
>> Anyway, it's getting rather late now - will try to work on that color
>> issue after I get some sleep.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> //drew
>
> Eric is right however, first we need to define a colour pallet, font face,
> bugs and general style.  Define also dimensions and proportions and white
> space for the various use cases. (print, web, promotional gear etc)   This
> should all be laid out in a style guide.  Any fonts used should be available
> under appropriate licenses as well.

Maybe some subset of these standard sizes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_banner#Standard_sizes

A logo for our  website is one use, but I could imagine variations for
things like:

1) Profile image for project-controlled social media.  These tend to be square.

2) A "Powered By Apache OpenOffice" or similar logo for apps build on top of AOO

See:  http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs.html#poweredby

3) A banner that friends of the project can use on their blogs or
websites, in the side panel, to link to the AOO website.