incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject AOO 3.4 Feature impact from IP cleanup
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2011 01:22:46 GMT
I'd like to draw your attention to the following wiki page.  It lists
the libraries that are being removed from the code, because of
incompatible licenses.  It lists the replacement, where they exist, as
well as the user impact.

This information will be useful to testing the 3.4 released.  We
should focus on the areas where we are introducing new libraries.

But I think it will also be interesting if you have heard (as I have)
people suggest that AOO 3.4 will be greatly degraded in functionality
due to the IP cleanup, and the resulting release will not be usable.
I think much of the confusion is due to imperfect knowledge about what
is permissible in Apache source versus binary releases.

In any case, I invite you to consult the following page, and see the
functionality that will be impacted.  Note that in at least two cases
the replacements will be functional improvements to the code that is
being removed.

If you know of something that is missing from the table, feel free to
add it.  Let's be transparent about the facts and let the FUD
evaporate.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/IP_Clearance+Impact

-Rob