incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How many languages will Apache OpenOffice support?
Date Fri, 16 Dec 2011 13:51:28 GMT
On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 8:32 AM, Kazunari Hirano <khirano@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Native+Language+Projects
>
> How many languages will we support?
> How many platforms will we support?

What was the state of the translations in the OpenOffice.org 3.4 beta?
  That is our starting point.  I don't think we've added many new UI
strings (if any), so that is very close to our state now.

What might make sense is this:

1) Work towards a 3.4 test milestone build that translators can use

2) Work toward having a working Pootle server configured for the project

3) When we have 1) and 2), invite translators in the community to test
and provide additional translations via Pootle.  Have a specific
target window for this, like 2 weeks or 3 weeks.  Any additional
translations we receive would make it into the Release Candidate.

4) Translations are welcome on an ongoing basis, even after we deliver
3.4.  We would need to discuss how these are released.

> How many full installation sets will we provide for those languages
> and platforms?
> How many language packs will we provide for those languages and platforms?
>
> http://ooo-site.apache.org/download/other.html
>
> Will we provide full installation sets and language packs like this?
>
> They were built based on the following policy.
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Languages
> "If OpenOffice.org UI (User Interface) and HC (Help Content) are
> translated around 80% in your language and your language localization
> data is available within OpenOffice.org CVS / SVN / HG, Oracle Hamburg
> team would build an install set of your language. If the UI is
> translated around 80% only a language pack will be built."
>
> Will we follow this policy?

Good question.  If someone volunteers to build 100's of variations of
installs on various platforms, packaging models and languages, then
that would be great.  But I think this only happened before because
Sun had a full-time build engineer working on this.  We don't have
that anymore.  So we might need a more sustainable distribution model,
with fewer pre-built packages.  It is much easier, for example, to
distributed language packs.  If we did that, then we might concentrate
on making the installer smarter, so it could download a language pack
on demand.  If we did that then the user experience would be good, and
the distribution model would be simpler.