incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OT] IBM Lotus Symphony (ODF) Viewers now freely available on Android Marketplace and Apple App Store
Date Wed, 28 Dec 2011 19:23:23 GMT
On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 10:49 AM, Malte Timmermann
<malte_timmermann@gmx.com> wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> thanks for clarification :)
>
> I still wonder: There must be some common code between these two apps.
> The ODF filter, the DOM and the renderings stuff (well, at least the
> layouter, while the renderer itself might more be SDK specific).

Yes, that is a good assumption.

> So it would still be interesting to have good and lightweight ODF viewers
> for desktop systems. With better layout than ODF2HTML transformations can
> do.
>
> Will the code for the ODF viewers also become AL2? :)

That is an interesting idea.  Currently the viewers are "free as in
beer", but they are not open source.   I can investigate this further,
to see what is possible on our end, but I'd really like to see this
project demonstrate further success working with the considerable
amount of code it already has, from OpenOffice and soon from Symphony,
and is growing the number of active coders, before throwing more code
at it.

-Rob