incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Rationalizing two OpenOffice websites
Date Sun, 11 Dec 2011 18:06:22 GMT
On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Dec 11, 2011, at 8:48 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

instance. And actually I can't see the previous commit by you either (revision 1203948), so
I'm probably looking at the wrong pages or I didn't trigger some update procedure.

>>> Try http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/
>>>
>>> The publish step has not been applied. It is going to be huge and we need to
co-ordinate w/Infrastructure. I expected to get to wrapping last week. I plan some work today.
Depending on that someone should co-ordinate the publish step for ooo-site with Infrastructure.

>> So publishing then moves it from staging to ooo-site.apache.org.    At
>> the same time can we direct www.openoffice.org there?  Or is other
>> work needed before we take that step?
>
> Depends on when we publish. Here are some of the tasks required before changing the DNS.
>
> (1) Finish the wrapping. I am adding breadcrumbs, topnav, folder specific topnav and
adjusting the footer as best I can tell from LEGAL-104.

> (2) Make sure that Trademarks and Dennis don't have any issues with license notices and
copyright.

> (3) Make sure that the subdomain redirections are ready for the migration.
>
> (4) Make sure that the places where a podling page takes precedence land on a proper
page - contribute / participate changes.

> We might debate (4) as a prerequisite, (1), (2) and (3) are definite.

If we took the existing openoffice.org site, as-is, and hosted it on
Apache, and did the redirection so it looked like openoffice.org,
would there be any problem?  It would reflect the status quo on the
legacy site, including possible trademark and other issues.  But it
would be no worse.

On the other hand, making this go live now allows all of us to start
making content changes that are relevant and needed in many areas.
You open it up for the other 78 of us to start contributing to the
website.

So if there is a way we can can the footer cleanup, etc., in-situ,
then I'd urge that approach.  Otherwise we're all being held back from
making meaningful corrections to the website.

-Rob