incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: draft - Website migration(+) announcement - draft
Date Thu, 29 Dec 2011 22:55:34 GMT
On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 3:49 PM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-12-29 at 21:21 +0100, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> On 29/12/2011 drew wrote:
>> > During this migration period community developers also made great
>> > progress with the application code. Ariel Constenla-Haile, one of the
>> > community developers, generated binary packages, suitable for early
>> > testing purposes, from the current Apache OpenOffice code repository.
>> > Available for download at http://people.apache.org/~arielch/packages
>>
>> I wouldn't send out public announcements about Ariel's builds. The
>> interest is huge, and people might download them just out of curiosity
>> and damage their existing OpenOffice.org installation and extensions.
>
> Well, good point. I think it is important to be clear that the code (the
> application and therefore the 'thing' of real importance to users) is
> moving forward also however..not sure how to do that without something
> concrete to point to - as you say though it is something that can
> backfire badly, if people just install those files..
>
>> It's probably better to announce, at due time, development builds that
>> won't interfere with the installed version (and ideally, not even with
>> the user profile if the BerkeleyDB removal has implications on that).
>
> Then maybe the announcement should just chronicle the items of interest:
>
> - Developer snapshot's are becoming available - that's Ariel's page as
> one
> - Daily builds are happening and there is a real location for those
> - others?
>
> and then point them to a page (website or wiki?) for those interested in
> getting in on the bleeding edge of testing, maybe?

it is a good little snippet of info.  But there is so much more to
say, especially for an audience that we've haven't been
(re-)introduced to yet.  Where to start?

I wonder whether it would be worth reviving the OpenOffice Newsletter?
 This was sent out to the old announce list.  It was erratic toward
the end, but at one point I think it was coming out every month.

Some examples:

March 2011:  http://openoffice.org/projects/www/lists/announce/archive/2011-03/message/0

December 2010:
http://openoffice.org/projects/www/lists/announce/archive/2010-12/message/0

September 2010:
http://openoffice.org/projects/www/lists/announce/archive/2010-09/message/0

A format like that allows us to bundle a few small posts, news
clippings, announcements, etc., into a fuller package, maybe with
greater impact.

For example, we could a series of these over the next few months:

Newsletter #1:  Intro to OpenOffice @ Apache.  Announcements on
migration, copyleft-free build, start of test effort, links to blog,
mailing lists, migration status, announcement of pending retirement of
openoffice.org email addresses and lists, etc.

Newsletter #2 (a month later): availability of test builds for 3.4
(hopefully on Windows by then), how to help with test effort, reminder
on mailing list migration and mail forwarding shutdown.  Gathering
proposals for AOO 4.0.

Newsletter #3 -- coverage of 3.4 release, press clippings, etc.

A newsletter could be put together on the wiki and then the
announcement can be a link to the online newsletter.