incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AOO 3.4 Feature impact from IP cleanup
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2011 13:56:54 GMT
On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 8:42 AM, Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
> On Dec 6, 2011 1:22 AM, "Rob Weir" <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to draw your attention to the following wiki page.  It lists
>> the libraries that are being removed from the code, because of
>> incompatible licenses.  It lists the replacement, where they exist, as
>> well as the user impact.
>>
>> This information will be useful to testing the 3.4 released.  We
>> should focus on the areas where we are introducing new libraries.
>
> Very useful. Thanks.
>

>> But I think it will also be interesting if you have heard (as I have)
>> people suggest that AOO 3.4 will be greatly degraded in functionality
>> due to the IP cleanup, and the resulting release will not be usable.
>> I think much of the confusion is due to imperfect knowledge about what
>> is permissible in Apache source versus binary releases.
>
> You might want to unpack that a little. Apache doesn't do binary releases.
> Projects often provide binary packages built directly from source releases
> as a convenience.

Sure, if you want to say we publish binary packages rather than
release them, then that's fine.  I think we're using different words
for the same thing.  But I'm happy to adopt your usage if you think it
is important.

> Perhaps I'm missing the point you are trying to make here.

For example, treatment of MPL, which may be included  in a binary
package, but may not be included in the source release

-Rob