incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Off topic
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2011 23:03:53 GMT
On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 5:44 PM, Graham Lauder <g.a.lauder@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> The evidence actually reveals the complete opposite.  A vast vibrant community
> with all the tension and  foibles that brings with it, that produced, marketed
> and distributed a well featured and reliable Office suite to a community of
> probably tens of millions of users.  Could we have done some things better, of
> course, nothing is ever perfect but it was never as bad as you and others have
> been painting it.

OOo was a failure because it only worked as a recipient of corporate
charity.  It was entirely a money hole for Sun and Oracle.  It is
amazing what kind of crazy organization you can have if sustainability
of the ecosystem is not an issue because you have access to some magic
external source of funds.

Well, that corporate subsidy is gone.  The question is how we can
create a sustainable model for this project.  What worked before,
based on corporate charity, is not really relevant anymore.  The
question is, what works now?

-Rob