incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [odfauthors-discuss] Chapter 1 of the Base Guide ready for publication
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2011 17:38:47 GMT
On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> [ODFAuthors subscriber hat on]
>
> My understanding of the current state of LEGAL-96, <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-96>
is that a concrete case is required.  I don't see one here unless the Apache OpenOffice project
proposes to change the terms of use for the Wiki to say that all new contributions must be
under category-A licenses.

Actually, so there is no uncertainty, that is exactly my proposal,
that all new contributions to the wiki are under Apache 2.0 license.

However, no objections to linking to non-ALv2 content hosted on other websites

-Rob

> If that is the offer (in which case CC-BY, but neither CC-BY-SA nor CC-NC-anything, would
be acceptable with care), the specific conditions that will be satisfied along with use of
CC-BY can be run by legal-discuss@ apache.org by addition to LEGAL-96 or whatever.

>  1. One condition could be that the attribution requirement be detailed on the inside
cover along with the applicable notices (Copyright, CC-BY, etc.).  As is noticed in LEGAL-96,
authors rarely satisfy that aspect of CC-xx.  [There should always be an unambiguous way
to contact the authors -- copyright holders -- because, as the CC-BY deed states, one can
always request a license under different terms.]

>  2. The second condition could be to usefully point out, in the inside cover (or its
equivalent) that there are additional requirements if the document happened to be delivered
by technological means that did not allow the recipient to possess or modify a copy.  (Essentially,
such delivery must make it known how to obtain a technology-unencumbered copy.)  This is
the only edge case that concerns some.  ASF wouldn't be doing that, but ASF wants downstream
consumers to know when there are special conditions and not assume there are none.

> These conditions, by the way, are valuable to specify in any CC-xx document, whether
or not acceptable for posting on an ASF site or including in an ASF release.  [Note: An attribution
requirement is very BSD-like and may or may not make the same front matter acceptable in a
high-church-copyleft regime, even though the modern BSD itself is tolerated.  However, editions
prepared for other communities don't have to be under the same license.  Then satisfying
(1) is by a recommendation, not a license condition.]

>  3. Overnight, it occurred to me that now there is also a need for ODFAuthors to ensure
appropriate use of the ASF-owned trademarks, including the OpenOffice.org name and the gull
symbol.  I doubt that there is an issue, but the document will need to provide recognition
that trademarked terms are being used.  (That inside-cover page is not full yet, but don't
despair.)  This generally does not require special permission, although one could go through
the ceremony.  It is important that there be only nominative use with no confusion of the
document as endorsed by or produced by the ASF. (I assume ODFAuthors are completely happy
to have that be clear.)  See <http://apache.org/foundation/marks/>.  Note: The list
of Apache Marks is out-of-date.  Have no doubt, the name OpenOffice.org and related symbols
are now Apache trademarks.

>  - Dennis
>   [still auditioning to play a lawyer on cable]

On Behalf Of Rob Weir

is still there.  See, e.g.,  <http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/OOo3.3_User_Guide_Chapters>.

>>  2. At the bottom of that page, however, is the new Wiki:Copyright Links. It is
to this page: <http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org_Wiki:Copyrights>.
 I am not sure how this works relative to pages that have an existing license statement for
the page, but this seems to be relevant to your question: "In posting a new contribution,
you are licensing that contribution under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (ALv2)."

>>  3. I am cross-posting this message to ooo-dev, since that is apparently where this
approach was arrived at.  Perhaps there is an accommodation that allows Documentation | CC-BY
License (not CC-BY-SA or CC-NC-SA) to still qualify. I would not assume that without obtaining
some sort of explicit agreement.

> Maybe start by driving this JIRA issue to closure:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-96
>
> There were some questions on whether we could stream CC-BY 3.0 as category-a.
>
> -Rob
>

>>  - Dennis

On Behalf Of Jean Weber