incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Proposal: ooo-announce list
Date Sun, 11 Dec 2011 18:20:00 GMT
I see that many other projects have an official announce list.  This
would be used for official public communications:

1) New releases

2) New services

3) New blog posts

4) Security patches

5) Expected downtime

6) Migration updates

The idea would be for it to be low-volume but with high membership.
If possible via ezmlm, it would be a read-only list except for
moderators.  Content for posting would first be discussed and approved
on ooo-dev before going out on the announce list.

Some might say that we could just do this via existing ooo-dev or
ooo-user lists, but the higher traffic on those lists is too much for
someone who wants only the most important notices.

If we do have an optional registration screen in the 3.4 install,
maybe this is the list we offer to sign users up for.

If there are no objections to this list, I'll need a few things:

1) Verification that such a read-only list is possible

2) A few moderator volunteers -- noting that the moderator role in
this case is more of an assist to help publish PPMC-approved content
to the list.

-Rob