incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Time for the ASF to send an Open Letter?
Date Sat, 17 Dec 2011 14:49:41 GMT
On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 9:40 AM, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:

> On 17 Dec 2011, at 01:29, Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>> On 15 November 2011 22:47, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.robweir.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/oo-forks.png
>>
>> Rob. I might need to reuse this, can I assume it is OK to do so. I
>> don't plan to edit it in any way, just rename it to "oo-derivatives"
>> (or similar) and move to an apache.org address.
>
> Did you also see Michael Meeks' attempt to visualise this context?
>  http://people.gnome.org/~michael/blog/2011-11-18-graphs.html
>
> While it's also flawed, it has a number of advantages over Rob's graph in helping people
understand the current state of the community and the extent of its diversity.

What that chart fails to show is the family tree.  it suggests that
LibreOffice is something different than OpenOffice.org rather than 90%
the same, derived from OpenOffice.  It fails to show that there always
has always been an ecosystem of projects derived from OOo code.

The fact is every user of LO is also a user of OOo code.  It is part
of that ecosystem.  Not just the past, but also the future.  For
example, I see that Michael is looking forward to using ("cherry
picking") our recent improvements in SVG support:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2011-December/021884.html

This is wonderful.

-Rob