incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [NL][Proposal] structure and process
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2011 13:44:05 GMT
On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 7:54 AM, Kazunari Hirano <khirano@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Thanks.
>
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 9:02 PM, Michael Bauer <fios@akerbeltz.org> wrote:
>> Is there a general l10n mailing list that we can link to from that page?
>
> No, there isn't.
>
>> I had a mailing list for my locale on OOO and that was... not lively and
>> I think most small locale teams prefer to deal with a general l10n list.
>
> I see.  Why don't you propose "ooo-l10n@incubator.apache.org" ? if you
> think it is not very good to use this list,
> ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org, as general l10n list.
>
> On such a list we can discuss about how to use the pootle server, po
> files, gsi files, translation deadline etc., right?

I think this could be a good thing.  We could probably get "critical
mass" with such a list.  Maybe try a new thread with a proposal for
that, and see how many people say they would join it?  Maybe forward
the invitation the legacy i10n dev and tools lists as well?

I think the trick is "smart growth" -- how do we scale the community?

So, maybe better to have a single ooo-appdev list for macros and
extension authors, i.e.., users that are creating extensions and
applications based on AOO.  Have that, rather than many
languge-specific macro lists.  That way we get a critical mass of
users, but also of experts to answer questions.  We grow a more
vibrant community. Yes, it will require more tolerance, especially of
language misunderstandings, but the benefits are great as well.

Similar, let's make better use of ooo-marketing.  We have one project.
 So it is perfectly fine to have a conversation about a "local"
marketing effort on the ooo-marketing list.  In fact, one person's
local effort might be a good model that others copy and translate and
repeat in other locations.  So there are benefits to having a
concentrate marketing discussion.

We need one big fire, not many small fires.

-Rob