incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Rationalizing two OpenOffice websites
Date Mon, 12 Dec 2011 00:55:38 GMT
On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 6:15 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Dec 11, 2011, at 2:09 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 4:04 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>

>>> I've already answered. I've been very clear. Nothing has stopped others from
working on ooo-site.

>> I apologize if I was not clear.  I'm not interested in editing
>> ooo-site.apache.org.
>
> And I happen to think that this is absolute nonsense. ooo-site will be www.openoffice.org
when the time comes. Waiting is a bogus excuse.

To the extent that you continue to not understand what I am saying I
will continue to repeat myself, attempting various ways of
reformulating my point.

I want to update www.openoffice.org.  I do not want to update only
your test server.  I want the changes I make now to be reflected on
the public, user facing openoffice.org website after a simple staging
and publication stage, i.e., near real time, no more than a few
minutes delay.  That is what the project needs.  This is what we all
need. The fact that we can can easily update ooo-site, a staging
website that no user actually ever sees is a partial success only.

What I hear you saying is that we're free to update the data in
/ooo-site and that will then appear on the test staging server.  That
is nice.  But the changes that you, me and others have made on that
content is not being seen by real users.  It is stuck in limbo.  We
can invite committers to stick more content into limbo, of course, to
queue it up for publication at some indeterminate point in the future.
  But I'm more interested in what we need to do to get the content out
of limbo and live on www.openoffice.org.  How do we complete this?

So this is not about ooo-site.  This is about the complete publication
pipeline.  That is  what matters for the PPMC's ability to properly
manage the www.openoffice.org website.  Nothing is live until the PPMC
can effectively update the real site.

Remember, what our users have on www.openoffice.org is very wrong in
many places.  We're continuing every day to harm the project if that
content remains as-is and is not replaced by accurate project
information.   The fact that some of the content is corrected in SVN
or on ooo-site is not enough.

If at all possible, I'd urge us to take a "release early, release
often" approach to the website migration rather than a "big bang
integration" approach.

What is the minimum that really needs to be done to make this site go
live?   And how can I, and anyone else who is interested in
accelerating this work, help?

-Rob