incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Off topic
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2011 14:05:03 GMT
On 13 December 2011 11:12, Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure where this meme of "can't be done here in Apache" is coming
> from.

Maybe can be done in the future but not right now? Earlier discussions
suggested that there is no current mechanism to donate money to the Apache
OO podling. Constraints for making donations were also explained in terms
of ASF's not for profit status under US law - maybe I misunderstood, but
that seems to me to be a significant barrier, especially for those not
conversant with US law on not for profits ;-).

There are very few things that can't be done here. The key is that
> whatever is done under that Apache banner is for the public good. That
> means it does not benefit any one individual or organisation more than
> any other.

So it would be possible to make a direct donation to the OO podling? Rather
than to ASF in general? Otherwise someone would have to set up a separate
organisation to eg raise money for marketing they could be sure would get
used as intended.  Then there is the issue of trademarks when operating
outside ASF (TeamOO etc). So while the outcome might be achievable its not
necessarily easy. I'm not saying anything can't be done, but it seems from
the discussion that getting some things done are going to be very hard work
with no certainly of a good outcome.

The limiting factor for creating a truly balanced and complete
> ecosystem is people getting it done, not rules and regulations.
>
> Ross
>
> On 13 December 2011 09:40, Ian Lynch <ianrlynch@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 12 December 2011 23:44, Louis Suárez-Potts <lsuarezpotts@gmail.com
> >wrote:
> >
> >> HI,

> >> How nice. :-)
> >>
> >> I mean civil as well as governmental commercial (and not) activity
> >> utilising and normalising within the warp and woof of the everyday the
> >> work produced by the commons-based peer network. In short, the stuff
> >> that earns the keep of those who keep the urn: but without burn or
> >> churn. (sorry, dinnertime)
> >>
> >> At OOo we had a simple policy that sought to promote disinterested
> >> ecosystem activity. I'd be a lot more inclined to relax the
> >> strictures, as the situation here is quite different. But there were
> >> some provisions that made sense, and which I long advocated for. These
> >> included promoting sponsors of work via regulated icons (not garish or
> >> distracting from the thing of value produced itself), as well as
> >> unedited listings of service/support providers. I had started a list
> >> but the DE group under André did a much better job, though it was
> >> rather unwieldy, as they were the first to admit. Better technology
> >> now would make for better listing. The extant list:
> >> http://bizdev.openoffice.org/
> >>
> >> (The history of posting sponsors' ads is tedious but the risk is
> >> always one of bleeding volunteers of that which moves them in the
> >> pursuit of the lucre that moves others. But we can manage that. And
> >> Ian and I have had historical discussions on this point, though we now
> >> pretty much agree on the what's what of it.)
> >>

> > If OpenOffice is to reach its impact in terms of potential it needs
> > vehicles for promotion and distribution beyond just making the code
> > available from a web site. If that is not possible in the Apache Way with
> > the Apache web sites, alternatives need to be found. The main issues I'd
> > anticipate is the use of logos and trademarks and the motivation of the
> > people involved in terms of a positive effect on development. That is
> never
> > going to be easy and has associated risk but there is also risk in doing
> > nothing simply to avoid that risk.
> >
> > --
> > Ian
> >
> > Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications (The Schools ITQ)
> >
> > www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940
> >
> > The Learning Machine Limited, Reg Office, 36 Ashby Road, Tamworth,
> > Staffordshire, B79 8AQ. Reg No: 05560797, Registered in England and
> > Wales.
>

> --
> Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
> Programme Leader (Open Development)