incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jean Weber <jeanwe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AOO How-tos
Date Sun, 18 Dec 2011 21:08:11 GMT
On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 02:04, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 6:37 AM, Jean Weber <jeanweber@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Similar to my note about the FAQs, there is a collection of how-tos on
>> the OOo wiki. These also need to be checked to see if they are out of
>> date.
>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/How_Tos
>>
>> That page is also a good place to check if you're thinking of writing
>> a how-to; perhaps it already exists.
>>
>> What other how-to's or FAQs do you think are needed? You can either
>> just write one (no need for permission) or make a proposal if you'd
>> like to discuss it before charging ahead. Some coordination is a good
>> thing, as long as it doesn't mean everyone talks about what we
>> "should" do and never actually does any of it. :-)
>>

> Maybe good to think of this in three categories:
>
> 1) What needs to be updated purely based on the move to Apache?  Any
> URL's or email addresses that are now wrong?  Anything factually
> incorrect?  Anything that should be added to answer common questions
> we are receiving related to the move and changes stemming from that
> move?
>
> 2) What needs to be updated based on the upcoming 3.4 release?  Did
> anything come up in the beta that deserves an FAQ?  Do we see  any
> thing from the forums or user lists that is new and should be covered?
>
> 3) General and ongoing clean up and further work on new and existing FAQ's.
>

> I can help on #1.

Thanks for offer to help on #1.

As for #2 & #3, I agree but also remind people that stuff may be not
even up to date for v3.3 (in sme cases it may be waaaaay out of date)
so the "clean up" and "updating" work needs to be quite in-depth...
often involving a lot of testing, something that inexperienced
volunteer writers often don't do.

--Jean