incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Too many lists
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2011 23:26:38 GMT
I'm really concerned about the tendency of the AOO project to keep
proposing and seriously considering new lists (well that is probably
over stating it, but I am genuinely concerned).

Each time you create a list you separate the community from itself. It
should not happen until there is a proven need for it. Splitting the
community in this way leads to questions like "which list should this
be on" and subsequently "which list should I search to find the answer
to this".

The most recent example is the I10n proposal. It will, probably,
become necessary to create such a list in the future. But i10n affects
everyone, not just those doing translations. The discussion about how
to structure the I10n effort in AOO should happen here where everyone
can easily find it.

Clear email subjects will allow people to quickly skip over emails on
topics they are not concerned about, but it ensures that nobody is
forced off into a quiet corner where they are all alone.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)