incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: About the Former Native Language projects
Date Sun, 11 Dec 2011 00:21:08 GMT
On 11 December 2011 00:13, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 7:11 PM, Ross Gardler
> <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
>> On 11 December 2011 00:02, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

Apache land, on coding. But that only opens the door, as it were, to establishing the very
successful Native Language modules either in another wing of Apache (??) or outside the Apache
frame but corresponding to it, so that QA, a key element of the NL projects, for instance,
could be tied in. Licenses, etc., would have to be harmonised. And I'd also suggest using
a simpler work medium, such as wikis.

is going on or where. I'm not alone. I have received several pings on this very question,
and I'd like to move on it.

>>> I can see several models that could work:
>>
>> All good options...
>>
>>> You hint at another option.  I'm not sure it would work, but let's
>>> list it for sake of argument:
>>>
>>> 4. NL projects are individually proposed as their own podlings.  Their
>>> charter would be for them to produce localizations of AOO.  But they
>>> would be autonomous PMC's within Apache, with their own website,
>>> mailing lists, etc.
>>
>> Why do you feel this would this not work?
>>

> You have many Gaelic or Vietnamese-speaking mentors?

Fair point, although it is reasonable to expect that many of the
people involved will be bi-lingual at least (otherwise how can they
translate). Option 4 should not be ruled out (and you didn't do so), I
was just wondering what the source of your reservations was.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)