incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Too many lists
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2011 06:36:29 GMT
On 15 December 2011 04:33, Raphael Bircher <r.bircher@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Am 15.12.11 00:26, schrieb Ross Gardler:
>
>> I'm really concerned about the tendency of the AOO project to keep
>> proposing and seriously considering new lists (well that is probably
>> over stating it, but I am genuinely concerned).
>>
>> Each time you create a list you separate the community from itself. It
>> should not happen until there is a proven need for it. Splitting the
>> community in this way leads to questions like "which list should this
>> be on" and subsequently "which list should I search to find the answer
>> to this".
>
> If you have only one list you endup with the question. "Wich E-Mail should I
> read and wich not". I for my person read a mailing list with about 30 mails
> per dey.

I agree, but my point is that we are not anywhere near 30 mails per
day on, for example, I10n.

The use of good subjects helps people decide what to read (especially
if tags are used as previously discussed).

Yesterday I read "lets use the marketing list more" (or words to that
affect). Why was the list created if it was not going to be used?

How did OOo get to hundreds of unused lists which we get accused of
not mailing about the move to AOO because people had fallen out of the
habit of reading them because nothing important ever happens there.

Read my mail again, I didn't say *never* create new lists.

Ross