incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Too many lists
Date Wed, 28 Dec 2011 10:04:12 GMT
On Dec 28, 2011 3:16 AM, "Dave Fisher" <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Dec 27, 2011, at 7:07 PM, Wolf Halton wrote:
>
> > Hi Y'all
> >
> > Would it be better or worse to have "working-group" level IRC channels?
> > E.g. people translating documentation into Urdu will have specific
> > questions that a smaller, more focused group would be good for. People
> > working on developing the website code, etc..
> > There are already too many mailing lists to keep track of.  IMO.  I
think
> > it would be helpful to have focused IRC channels for when one is
actually
> > working on a piece of this.  I have been helped by such groups in the
past,
> > and felt as if my measly contributions were useful in that setting.  I
have
> > been finding it very hard to get my teeth into something on this
project,
> > in its birthing pains, as have a few others, so I have just read as
much as
> > I could and kept my lip zipped.
>
> As long as these are working groups. Just keep in mind that the list will
need to be
> informed of substantive decisions.
>
> So, excellent idea. Let's see if there are any objections.

IRC is not a good medium for decision making. It requires synchronous
activity which is not realistic in a distributed project. Furthermore it
does not provide an archive and this can leaf to confusion over why a given
direction wad taken.

It seems strange to say "there are too many mailing lists so let's create
IRC channels instead" (paraphrase). I don't really see how that solves the
problem, in fact it makes it worse. People need to be aware of yet another
communication channel (one which, to use effectively needs are fair bit of
technical know-how) in order to participate fully and thus the community
becomes fractured. Fewer channels with good subjects (and tags) are
generally better for inclusion.

That being said, some projects do use IRC as a compliment to the mailing
list. They are not official decision making channels. Proposals can be made
and shared with the list. Lazy consensus can still be used and IRC can, in
some communities, be a convenient way of getting some quick feedback,
especially in a targeted group as is bring suggested here.

However, IRC only works if there are enough people online at any one time,
so the question is really "who would populate it?"

Ross

> I have avoided doing this myself, but I can see how a group would reduce
the chatter on ooo-dev.

> Reading the ooo-issues and ooo-commits MLs is how to watch what is really
happening. (except for the MWiki and Forums.)