incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Recognitions...
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2011 16:12:54 GMT
Louis, are you familiar with Featherfast? http://feathercast.apache.org/

Rich Bowen is always looking for people to create appropriate pocasts.

Ross

On 22 December 2011 15:59, Louis R Suárez-Potts <louis@apache.org> wrote:
> One of the things we did (and so do many others) at Ye Olde OOo was to post interviews
of contributors and then, as the wiki became more developed, developer pages. We encouraged
project leads to give credit where it was due and to use the wikis, lists, whatever, for the
purpose of recognition.

> "Recognition" is not as powerful as say, someone using using your idea or code and crediting
you that way. But not all good ideas can gain that sort of currency (use value) but nevertheless
prove their worth if only by demonstrating to others that Yes, It Can Be Done, and By You,
too.

> So, I'd like to see if those here would like to rekindle that, and if possible, synchronize
it with the new AOO.

> The idea: To have pages in the wiki with pictorial representations you want to claim
as yours, to have bios whose lies or truths are yours (or not: your risk), and to have an
account--this is actually important--of what you are doing and how your doings can be others',
too, and how -- a lagniappe-- doing what you do the Apache way differs, is interesting, is
productive, is community building--whatever.

> I would be happy to conduct a series of interviews--via email, or even via Skype, for
podcasting. Questions, as I used to pose, would be short and *not* require much time to respond
to.

> E.g.:
>
> * Tell us about who you are and what you are doing on AOO
>
> * How did you get into open source, AOO? (Further: are you independent? Or do you work
within a company/organisation that pays for your participation or otherwise supports it?)

> * What do you hope to get out of your participation?
>
> * What are the areas you think need the most attention in the AOO process? (If you were
helping someone new to the project, what sort of things would you want to convey?)

> * And, if you have time, inclination: How do you think this open-source method of collaborating
works out? (I'm also curious if you have difficulty explaining what you do to those not initiated
into the process….)

> I suppose this is necessary: All material posted would be under the relevant Apache license--?
(Me: I'd like a CC kind of arrangement. I am rather fond of the idea of publishing a running
account broadly titled, Voices of Development, that presents minimally edited accounts of
those actually working on big projects.)

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)