incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: About Team OpenOffice.org
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2011 22:42:35 GMT
2011/12/20 Götz Wohlberg <goetz.wohlberg@googlemail.com>:
> Hi Ross,
>
> Thanks for your kind words!

I've absorbed your email now and see all the appropriate questions
have been asked. I look forward to hearing the answers and working
with you to ensure you build the collaboration you need to realise
your personal goals.

It is important to remember that this is not OpenOffice.org, this is
Apache OpenOffice. The code is the same. The governance is completely
different.

Here at Apache we only have individuals and no individual committer
has more influence or authority than any other.We are a meritocracy
not a dictatorship or even an oligarchy. It can take some getting used
to, but it does mean that if you and your colleagues wish to work with
us you will have all the freedom and influence you need. If you seek
to work outside our project your influence here will be zero (you'll
retain the same freedoms though).

As a mentor of this project I generally try and stay out of it, but I
do watch carefully and if I see things getting confused I try and help
out.

Whilst I'm not willing to discuss the project in private, you can
always ask questions directly of myself or the other mentors if you
feel something is confused or unreasonable in the community. The
mentors job is to explain why things are the way they are or course
correct if necessary.

Ross