incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [WWW] Changeover is Close - Final Tasks!
Date Mon, 26 Dec 2011 17:54:53 GMT
On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 6:35 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Dec 23, 2011, at 5:56 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 1:55 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net>
> wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> >> (6) We will be changing references to Projects and Project Leaders to
> Teams and Team Leaders (thanks Kay for the idea! it's not perfect..).
> >>
> >> It is a question for the project about what to do with the "Team
> Leader" category and the name. There is probably consensus to eliminate
> "Leaders". I do think it is worth retaining this information until it is
> determined if the individuals mentioned contribute to the AOO(i) project.
> We can play with this after migration, but it would be good to be
> consistent for the start.
> >>

> > As we all know, leadership at Apache is what you do.  It is not a
> > title.  You might the website lead today, but in a month in might be
> > someone else.  In fact, you might hope it was even sooner ;-)
>
> I try ;-D
>

> > So rather than declare "leads" in various categories on the
> > openoffice.org website (the public facing, user website) I wonder
> > whether we could just use our existing "People" page  [1]?  That
> > provides an easy way for any committer to indicate their interests and
> > it would be easy for anyone to indicate their current project focus as
> > well.
>
> If you follow the thread and the commits from Kay today, you'll see that
> we've removed the project leader column!
>
> The people page is a good idea. I think that the Apache concept is very ad
> hoc. ooo-dev is the place to form up teams for various activities. (I've
> recently read a history of the Comanches.)
>
> I wonder if we should discuss two of the topnav buttons currently on
> ooo-site - Teams and Develop.
>
> I think Teams should be renamed Project and ought to link to a new page
> that combines projects/accepted.html and incubator.html. The OOo projects
> become tables of links into ooo-site.  People, mailing lists and
> get-involved would be linked to in the podling site. An explanation that at
> Apache Teams are formed on ooo-dev. If you are interested in an
> improvement: bring it up, help may appear, a team may form.

Hi Dave--

Playing catch up here. The idea of renaming "Teams" to "Project" seems
worthwhile, I think. Although I think "Project" might need some further
definition especially is we present a *list* of items. Some suggestions:
Project Areas, Development Areas, Focus Areas? Maybe I'm just muddying the
waters I don't know.

As far as the legacy Incubator projects...I'm not sure how many of these
are still really "active". And...we had some discussion about "bizdev"
early on that indicated this was probably NOT an appropriate activity/group
for the ASF.  Of the remaining incubator areas, I think we might include
only the following: Education, Extensions, Modularization, Performance,
Security, Specifications, VBA Interoperability (???), WP.

Just my .02.

Anyway, your ideas DO seem pretty good to me.

> I would make this new page in mdtext. I programmed a table enhancement for
> the CMS today that will help keep the page compact - columns of rows.

I don't mind mdtext, but I'm more comfortable with HTML. :)

But...I'm open to see what you come up with. Is there an accessible mock-up
somewhere?

> Thoughts?
>
> I wonder if Develop should also go there? Does this all become a new "Get
> Involved"?
>
> Happy Holidays,
> Dave
>
> Regards,