incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 3.4 release plan
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2011 23:14:41 GMT
On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 1:53 PM, TJ Frazier <tjfrazier@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> On 12/30/2011 16:23, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>
>> Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>>> OK. So are 3.3.0 users getting error messages today because that
>>> service is down? Or is the problem only that pre-3.3.0 users are not
>>> getting update notifications telling them about the 3.3.0 release?
>>>

>> Both, but all users who are on 3.3.0 (the vast majority) get an error
>> message similar to "Could not establish Internet connection to
>> update36.services.openoffice.**org<http://update36.services.openoffice.org>"
>> as TJ wrote. If you open a search
>> engine that autocompletes queries, writing "update3" will give you a
>> nice list of popular queries for this problem, referencing different
>> servers.
>>
>>  I'd argue that if 3.3.0 users are getting error messages today, then
>>> it might be a good idea to set up the update notification server now
>>>

>> They are getting the error message, and indeed the sooner it is fixed
>> the better, even though the moment when this becomes quite embarrassing
>> is when Apache OpenOffice 3.4 is out and OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 users are
>> shown an error message on trying to know whether updates are available.
>>
>>  Is this the protocol that we are using:
>>> http://wiki.services.**openoffice.org/wiki/Update_**
>>> Notification_Protocol<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Update_Notification_Protocol>
>>> ?
>>>

>> Not sure. The wiki page seems to concern a proposed protocol upgrade, it
>> might be that the current one is simpler. The address is set here:
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/**incubator/ooo/trunk/main/**
>> instsetoo_native/util/**openoffice.lst?view=markup<http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/instsetoo_native/util/openoffice.lst?view=markup>
>>
>> (search for UPDATEURL, set to update38.services.openoffice.**org<http://update38.services.openoffice.org>
>> )
>> but I don't know where the code uses it. And I don't know whether the
>> neon library removal affects the client side of this service or not.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Andrea.
>>
>>  Fascinating! From 3.4 Beta I get:
> http://update38.services.**openoffice.org/**ProductUpdateService/check.**
> Update<http://update38.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update>does
not exist.

> /tj/

On all this...yes, I knew it was becasue the service was no longer
available, and since, for me anyway, it's a manual pull, well at least it
wasn't in your face all the time. But...my concern is what to do about it
*now* and for a future release. We have "downloads" but no "updates".

We need to bring up the service, as *currently* sepc'd to fix current
versions, and possibly change the URL in code (pointing to another service)
for future releases.

In addition to comments from  friends, this has been mentioned on the "old"
user list.

Anyway, on we go. We all have a lot to review before 3.4 -- which hopefully
will be VERY soon!

MzK

 by the way its animals are treated."
                              -- Mohandas Gandhi