incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [WWW] new term for old "accepted" projects
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2011 23:01:51 GMT
On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 10:40 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Dec 21, 2011, at 10:19 PM, J├╝rgen Schmidt wrote:
>
> > Am Mittwoch, 21. Dezember 2011 schrieb Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com
> >:
> >> Hi all--
> >>
> >> I was just looking at /projects/accepted.html on
> >>
> >> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/
> >>
> >> with the intention of changing the links to the relative treatment we're
> >> using now when I see that Dave has already taken of this! Go Dave! :)
> >>
> >> My question now is -- it would be nice to highlight this page from the
> > home
> >> page as we've done with the "Native Language" area ( another very nice
> >> treatment by Dave!) but what should we call these areas now?
> >> I don't think they should be called "projects" but maybe "teams"? Teh
> top
> >> verbiage on "accepted.html" would need to be changed as well.
> >
> > an interesting and good question. The term 'teams' does not work well
> here.
> > For some 'component' could work but also not very well.
> >
> > But I think it shows again that our whole page could benefit of a
> > structural and conceptual  redesign.
> >
> > You did a wonderful and perfect job with the technical migration.  And
> once
> > this is done and finished we should start thinking of a more content
> > oriented redesign.
>
> Sure, the podling site is my next target. It's a bit of a mess.
>

> > Or what do you think?
>
> I think Teams is probably a better term for NLC projects.

Well for some reason, I left these as "Projects". Mostly because they are
really autonomous I think. And, "Federation" is fine until something else
evolves.

> For the code oriented projects it not be best. There the story is the
> projects and I think that some of the projects are marketing and others are
> code. Some projects are descriptive of the latest release. Others are older
> and the wiki now has precedence. I'm about to send an email about what I
> think needs to be consider before we migrate the website.

In the "legacy" OpenOffice.org, they were separate "projects", now, well...
For our initial "lift-off", I think Teams is fine, until some larger
reorganization happens.

> >> It looks like the new site is really moving along well...YAY!
> >
> > it's great to see the progress, thanks a lot to you guys
>
> About ready to move. I'm excited!
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>

> > Juergen
> >

> >> --

> >> MzK
> >>
> >> "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged
> >> by the way its animals are treated."
> >>                             -- Mohandas Gandhi

MzK