incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lsuarezpo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Off topic
Date Mon, 12 Dec 2011 23:44:30 GMT
HI,

On 12 December 2011 18:24, Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
> forum for
>> ecosystem activity.
>>
>> Q: Would Apache be the site for that?
>
> That all depends on what you mean by "ecosystem activity". Apache
> exists to produce open source software for the public good.

How nice. :-)

I mean civil as well as governmental commercial (and not) activity
utilising and normalising within the warp and woof of the everyday the
work produced by the commons-based peer network. In short, the stuff
that earns the keep of those who keep the urn: but without burn or
churn. (sorry, dinnertime)

At OOo we had a simple policy that sought to promote disinterested
ecosystem activity. I'd be a lot more inclined to relax the
strictures, as the situation here is quite different. But there were
some provisions that made sense, and which I long advocated for. These
included promoting sponsors of work via regulated icons (not garish or
distracting from the thing of value produced itself), as well as
unedited listings of service/support providers. I had started a list
but the DE group under André did a much better job, though it was
rather unwieldy, as they were the first to admit. Better technology
now would make for better listing. The extant list:
http://bizdev.openoffice.org/

(The history of posting sponsors' ads is tedious but the risk is
always one of bleeding volunteers of that which moves them in the
pursuit of the lucre that moves others. But we can manage that. And
Ian and I have had historical discussions on this point, though we now
pretty much agree on the what's what of it.)
louis