incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jean Weber <jeanwe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A timeline for an Apache OO release
Date Sun, 18 Dec 2011 00:06:21 GMT
On 18/12/2011, at 7:58, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 4:29 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>> I think it is irresponsible to not mitigate risk by having multiple levels of fall-back
in place always.  Not installing a 3.4 atop a 3.3 is one of those safeguards.  It is foolish
not to take that precaution.  It honors users by allowing them to compare based on *their*
use cases and decide when, if ever, to remove a previous version.

> The user is free to pick another directory at install time, right?  So
> they can make the choice that works best for them.

My (often faulty) memory of recent OOo installs on Windows is that I was not offered a choice
of directory when using a standard (default) install. If you knew how (custom install), you
could do it, but most users don't know that, and many have no clue which might work best for
them because they don't know the potential consequences of their choices.

--Jean